As a mental health pharmacist, you will be responsible for the medication and medicines reviews for people with mental health problems and other high-risk patients. You will work as part of a multidisciplinary team, advising and supporting colleagues, in line with local and national guidance, to promote high quality, safe and cost-effective care for patients.
- Handling, ordering, safe storage and monitoring of cost-effective prescriptions medicines with minimum wastage.
- Ensure accurate and timely recording of medicines, activities and patient data and document pharmaceutical queries from prescribers, pharmacists, care home staff and members of the public.
- Review clinical medication and processes for care home residents and other high-risk patients to ensure high-quality, evidence-based prescribing.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team promoting high-quality, safe and cost-effective prescribing within national and local guidelines.
- Provide training, education, and support of care home colleagues, to ensure the safer use of medicines.
- Liaise with other health professionals in community pharmacies, secondary care and local authorities regarding medicines management issues and transfer of care.
- Contribute to the management of dementia eg with low dose antipsychotics, bone protection for those at risk of falls, and prevention of acute kidney injury.
- To support the development of pathways and guidelines related to mental health settings.