As a GP Practice Pharmacist, you will work as part of a multidisciplinary team within a GP practice providing patient-facing dispensing, advice, treatment and administrative support alongside a wider team of healthcare professionals.
You will provide clinical leadership for medicines optimisation and be responsible for managing the prescription process and queries, undertaking clinical medical reviews whilst supporting and advising patients with chronic disease management issues. This includes helping to manage long-term conditions, advising those taking multiple medicines (polypharmacy) and delivering clinical advice about treatments. You will also assist with communication across a patient’s care pathway, manage medicines shortages by suggesting suitable alternatives where appropriate and mentor newer pharmacists.
- Providing clinical expertise and being an educational resource for colleagues in relation to medicines eg doses, side-effects, alternatives etc whilst helping to address the public health and social needs of patients within NICE and other evidence-based guidelines
- Liaising with and proactively developing relationships with a multidisciplinary team (including colleagues, NHS professionals and private organisations eg CCGs) and acting as the main point of contact for medicines
- Manage the process of medicines reconciliation on admittance or following discharge from hospital and liaise with patients and community pharmacists to ensure patients have the medicines that they need
- Managing, auditing and reviewing prescription and repeat prescription policies to improve the quality, safety and cost-effectiveness of prescribing
- Reduce wasteful polypharmacy and seek to reduce inappropriate and wasteful prescribing of medicines
- Proactively seek to reduce medicine-related hospital admissions and readmissions by identifying medicine-related issues and supporting patients to get the best outcomes from their medicines.
- Handling patients and health care professionals’ prescription queries and providing remote support where needed
- Research and identify patients that require medication reviews including patient’s clinical condition, blood monitoring and care arrangements
- Perform regular patient reviews to identify and address any medicines-related issues and ensure patients get the best outcome from medicines prescribed
- Make appropriate recommendations to GP and other healthcare professionals for patients’ ongoing treatment and for the management of referrals
- Ensuring repeat reauthorisation processes are adhered to for high-risk medicines
- Undertake and deal with minor ailments and triaging of patients